Sometimes you want to embed a funny cat video from YouTube on your blog post or website, but the particular video is full of a long, boring block of time where the cat does nothing. Wouldn’t it be great if you could send a link to someone and have the video play at a specific start time so it plays exactly the spot you want it to? Well, it’s actually quite easy with YouTube.
Here’s how you do it:
1. First thing you want to do is decide what time you want your video to start. Look at the time code on YouTube and make a note of it. For this example, I want the video to start at 2:24.
2. After you have your time code, grab your embed code by clicking the “Share” button, then the “Embed” tab.
3. Now you need to do a simple calculation to figure out how many seconds into the video you want it to start. Multiple the number of minutes by 60, then add the seconds. 2:24 = 2*60 + 24 = 144 seconds.
4. Now add ?start= at the end of your video URL along with the time you want your video to start. Your embed code should look like this:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i_mKY2CQ9Kk?start=144" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
5. Simply copy and paste that link into your blog or website HTML editor and you’re good to go.
Here’s what that embedded video with a timecode looks like
Bonus 1: If you also want to end the video at a specific time, add &end= and the time you want the video to end at (same formula as above, multiple minutes by 60 and add seconds). 2:38 = 2*60+38 = 158 seconds
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/i_mKY2CQ9Kk?start=144&end=158" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Bonus 2: If, instead of embedding a video, you want to share a link to the video that starts at a specific time, use this formula at the end of the YouTube link: #t=xmys (x is the number of minutes and y is the number of seconds). So, adding #t=1m16s to the link would have the video start 1:16 into the video.
Next time you embed a video and want it to start (or end) at a specific time code, follow the steps above – your readers will thank you for it.